Monday, August 30, 2010

Beginnings ... With Ruffy


Ruffy came up from the south on a pet rescue transport. Apparently, he was filthy and matted. Since two prominent rescue volunteers described him to me as 'disgusting', I imagine he was quite a site. Thankfully though, he got into the groomer before I took him home, and now look how nice he looks.

Ruffy is some kind of poodle spaniel mix, I guess. He's about one or two years old, and even though he has only been here for two days, I can vouch for him being a good dog. He's housebroken, good with other dogs, and good with kids. He hardly ever barks. These things, and more, make him highly adoptable, and I bet soon he will be loved by his furever family.

For the first night and morning he was here, I was doubtful that it would work out. When I introduced Ruffy to Kiyoshi, I did it outside, and then went for a walk. I quickly learned that taking care of two dogs is harder than taking care of one. And Kiyoshi was very uneasy about this new guy busting in on things. When I could not be right there to supervise closely, I had to separate the two. By day two things had improved significantly, and Kiyoshi and Ruffy were fine together.

Ruffy is good with Nicholas, and Nicholas instantly loved Ruffy. So much so, in fact, that he asked me, "Could we keep him instead?" I think Nicholas really enjoys dogs, but to tell you the truth, when he said that, my heart hurt... for me ... for Kiyoshi.
Silly. I know. But that's what I felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment